Identify prospective donors with the Search feature.
One of the best ways to find donors for your nonprofit on LinkedIn is to search for people with a passion for your cause. Build a list of keywords related to your cause by considering ways that their passion could show up on their profile (ex: previous volunteer experience).
Run a targeted search.
Use your collected keywords as a jumping-off point for searches. For example, you might find new donors by searching for people who mention “poverty alleviation” on their profile, then use filters to find people who match your specific criteria, like having the job title of CEO. (Note: senior professionals who have an interest in your cause may be open to making a donation, hosting a fundraising event, or supporting your organization in another way, like joining your board of directors.)
Once you find a profile you’re interested in, search it using the command/control + F keystroke to find your relevant keywords and explore how the person talks about them.
Explore advanced search tactics.
• Use double quotation marks around words to search for exact phrases.
• Use filters to hone in on companies, people, groups, events, and posts that have a connection to your selected keywords.
• To receive more specific search results, use Boolean search, which means adding “AND,” “OR,” and “NOT” to your search query.
How using Boolean search can narrow your results:
• Adding “OR” can help you find profiles that include one or more terms.
• Adding “AND” can help you find profiles that include multiple words or phrases.
• Adding “NOT” can help you eliminate profiles that feature unwanted keywords.
What is LinkedIn Sales Navigator?
LinkedIn Sales Navigator is a paid solution that gives your nonprofit organization access to advanced search filters, helping you identify potential major donors and prospects faster.
With LinkedIn Sales Navigator, you can search based on factors like:
• Group membership
• Whether a person follows your organization’s LinkedIn Page
• Whether a person has posted content that mentions your keywords
• Seniority level
• Years in current position
LinkedIn Sales Navigator also allows you to:
Map your network.
Understand who you already know to find the best path forward. Request warm introductions to improve your odds of connecting.
Keep an eye on prospects’ activity, nurture donor relationships, and spot the right moment to reach out.
Reach out to almost anyone on LinkedIn, even if you’re not connected, with a monthly InMail (direct message) allocation. If a prospect accepts or replies to your message within 90 days, you’ll get the credit back.